Ola Ince is a south Londoner who is taking London’s theatre scene by storm.
The 30-year-old has directed a host of shows in the West End including Tina the Musical.
She is also not afraid to tackle controversial subjects that ask questions about race and gender.
Ms Ince addresses these issues in her latest project at the Donmar Warehouse.
A man has been charged with attempted murder and possessing an offensive weapon after a police officer was stabbed in the head in east London.
The PC was attacked as he tried to stop a van in Leyton early on Thursday. He managed to Taser his assailant while being stabbed in the head and body.
He suffered multiple injuries but the Met Police says he will recover.
Muhammed Rodwan, 56, from Luton, is due to appear at Thames Magistrates’ Court on Friday.
Two uniformed officers tried to stop the van at the junction of Coopers Lane and Leyton High Road, the Met said.
The injured PC, 28, is a patrol officer who has been with the force for about 10 years.
Speaking earlier, Prime Minister Boris Johnson said the attack “underscores for me the bravery of our police, people who actually go towards danger to keep us safer”.
Commuters have been told not to travel from London Waterloo during the rush hour after a fire closed nine platforms.
The lineside blaze damaged cabling outside the station, meaning trains cannot use platforms 16-24.
Network Rail said “significant damage” had been caused to equipment, meaning trains will be delayed or cancelled.
Disruption is expected for the rest of the day while the Thursday morning rush hour may also be affected.
Network Rail said its engineers would be working through the night to fix the damage.
Waterloo is the busiest and largest railway station in the UK.
The platforms which are closed are normally used by trains serving Windsor, Reading, Hounslow, Richmond and Kingston.
However, services from other platforms are also being affected because trains have to be diverted or revised.
- Circular services via Hounslow, Richmond, Strawberry Hill and Kingston have been cancelled
- Trains between Waterloo and Windsor & Eton Riverside are diverted via Kingston
- Trains between Waterloo and Exeter/Salisbury are terminated and will restart from Basingstoke
Passengers were warned that services on other routes may also be subject to short-notice cancellations or delays.
In a joint statement, Network Rail and South Western Railway said commuters were “strongly advised to use alternative routes where possible and check their journeys before travelling at southwesternrailway.com for ticket acceptance and service details”.
Some passengers took to social media to express their frustration at the travel disruption.
One Twitter user described the situation as an “absolute shambles”, while others complained about being given the wrong or no information at all by train station staff.
England’s World Cup-winning cricket team have met Prime Minister Theresa May at 10 Downing Street.
Both England and New Zealand scored 241 runs from their 50 overs in Sunday’s final at Lord’s, before Eoin Morgan’s side won after a dramatic super over.
The victory meant England won the World Cup for the first time after losing in the finals of the 1979, 1987 and 1992 competitions.
May and Morgan were pictured sharing a joke before they posed with the trophy.
Cricket fan May was at Lord’s on Sunday and tweeted ‘well done’ to the team after their victory.
Another former Prime Minister, Sir John Major, who is an honorary life vice-president of Surrey County Cricket Club, was also at the reception at Downing Street.
“You have helped the nation fall in love with cricket once again,” May told the England players.
“The final was not just cricket at its best but sport at its best – courage, character, sportsmanship, drama, incredible skill and even the odd slice of luck – all combining to create a real thriller, one of the great sporting spectacles of our time.
“It was a fitting end to what has been a great tournament – and I want to take this opportunity to thank everyone involved in once again making our country a sporting showcase for the world.”
|Specsavers County Championship Division Two, Sophia Gardens, Cardiff (day one):|
|Middlesex 384 Malan 166, Sowter 57*, Roland-Jones 54; Carey 4-54, Hogan 3-75|
|Glamorgan 25-4 Helm 4-8|
|Glamorgan (3 pts) trail Middlesex (5 pts) by 359 runs|
Dawid Malan’s superb 166 dragged Middlesex to a strong position at 384 all out against Glamorgan, who crashed to 25-4 in reply.
Tom Helm claimed four late wickets to complete the visitors’ dominance.
Middlesex had slumped to 131-6 after Malan chose to bat, but he shared a seventh-wicket stand of 95 with Toby Roland-Jones (54).
Nathan Sowter then walloped 57 not out in a ninth-wicket stand of 115 with Malan.
Lukas Carey (4-54) and Michael Hogan (3-75) were Glamorgan’s best bowlers.
It was Malan’s third score of 150-plus in the campaign as he took his season’s tally to 879 runs and reminded England of his Test credentials, while Glamorgan were left to rue a missed slip chance he offered off Carey’s bowling on 43.
Middlesex’s march was only halted when Sowter retired hurt after being hit on the hand by Graham Wagg, and though he returned briefly to bat, the spinner did not field.
The visitors’ delight at their comeback was heightened when Helm’s new ball blitz left Glamorgan in tatters, his victims including the country’s top scorer Marnus Labuschagne for six.
Middlesex captain Dawid Malan told BBC Radio London:
“We were in trouble until we found some good momentum after lunch with the way Toby played, but we thought it was better to bat first than bat last on this wicket. Sowts and Toby created the momentum for me, they got me in a position where I could trust myself to play some shots and it came off.
“When you play nicely at the age I am (31) you want to cash in and make the most of it, but I’m not worried about (possible selection for) the Ashes because last time (for England) I got caught up in the wrong things,
“If I don’t get a call I’ll happily watch it on TV, and if I do get a call I’ll happily go.”
Glamorgan coach Matthew Maynard told BBC Sport Wales:
“They could have been 130 for seven and you would have been looking at a different game, but there was a big momentum shift and Malan played a super knock well supported by Roland-Jones initially, then Sowter played some great shots.
“We didn’t hold our bowling lengths particularly well all day, apart from Lukas Carey who had a great day with the ball.
“Then with nine overs to bat at the end, you can only lose, you can’t gain anything. From half an hour after lunch, it was probably our worst day of the season in the Championship but we’ve got three days to put that right.”
Charlton Athletic captain Jason Pearce has signed a contract extension to keep him with the Championship club until June 2021.
The defender, 31, joined the Addicks from Wigan in 2016 and has played 81 games over the past three seasons.
“I wanted to get stability with the club, I enjoy it here. I love the club and it has been a good year,” he said.
“The club had a bit of interest for me in the summer but it didn’t change anything, I wanted to stay here.”
|Specsavers County Championship Division Two, Merchant Taylors’ School, Northwood (day three):|
|Middlesex 172 & 244: Roland-Jones 51*, Helm 46; Higgins 4-35|
|Gloucestershire 201 & 137 : Van Buuren 57; Murtagh 5-44, Roland-Jones 3-27|
|Middlesex (3 pts) beat Gloucestershire (4 pts) by 78 runs|
Veteran seamer Tim Murtagh’s five-wicket haul helped dismantle Gloucestershire to give Middlesex a 78-run win inside three days at Northwood.
Along with first-innings hero Toby Rowland-Jones, who took 3-27 on the third day, and Tom Helm the home side dismissed Gloucestershire for 137.
Graeme van Buuren was the only batsman to score more than 19, hitting 57 from 71 balls to provide some resistance.
Earlier, Helm (46) and Rowland-Jones (51 not out) steered Middlesex to 244.
The pair rescued a middle-order collapse brought about by four wickets in 13 overs.
Fulham striker Aleksandar Mitrovic has agreed a new five-year contract with the club until the summer of 2024.
The 24-year-old scored 11 Premier League goals last season despite Fulham’s relegation after making a permanent move the previous summer.
Mitrovic had previously joined on loan from Newcastle United in January 2018, helping secure promotion through the Championship play-off final that May.
“I’m really happy and settled at Fulham,” Mitrovic said.
The Serbia international confirmed there had been interest from other clubs, but he hopes to help Fulham win promotion back to the top flight at the first attempt.
“I feel great. I’m really happy and I’m looking forward to playing here next season,” he added.
Fulham open their Championship season with a trip to promoted Barnsley on Saturday 3 August.
None of the officers investigated for potential misconduct in the initial response to the serial killer Stephen Port will be disciplined, the police watchdog has said.
But the Independent Office of Police Conduct (IOPC) said its inquiry had identified “systemic failings” within the Metropolitan Police.
Nine officers will be required to improve their standards, it added.
The families of Port’s victims have given an undertaking not to comment.
A spokeswoman said this was a condition demanded by the IOPC when they handed the families the final report – which is not due to be published until after the inquests for Port’s four victims.
There is currently no start date for the inquests – despite being ordered in November 2017.
Officers investigating the deaths of four young men ignored or dismissed evidence linking their murders to Port.
The watchdog told the BBC that: “While we agreed none of the officers involved in these investigations may have breached professional standards justifying disciplinary proceedings, we will be making a number of recommendations to the Metropolitan Police to address some of the systemic failings our investigation identified.
“We have advised the families of Stephen Port’s victims and the officers involved that the performance of nine officers fell below the standard required.
“They will now be required to improve their performance.”
During a preliminary hearing on Friday, the Old Bailey heard the inquests would focus on the “adequacy of the police investigation”.
The announcement means that none of the 17 Met officers investigated have been referred for misconduct proceedings by the IOPC.
The Met made a referral to the watchdog in October 2015 after identifying concerns regarding the initial investigations into the men’s deaths.
Ten officers were served with misconduct notices and a further seven with gross misconduct notices.
Misconduct is when an officer fails to follow expected standards of professional behaviour. Gross misconduct is when a breach is so serious it could justify dismissal.
The IOPC inquiry related to the investigative work undertaken, how evidence was examined, and how similarities between the cases were considered.
The 17, ranging in rank from constable to inspector, were largely local officers from Barking and Dagenham. None worked on the later successful murder inquiry.
Last year the BBC revealed that all but one of them gave ‘no comment’ interviews to the IOPC.
Port, now 44, from Barking in east London, was sentenced to a full life term in 2016 after being convicted of murdering four young men.
Between June 2014 and September 2015, he murdered:
- Anthony Walgate, 23, originally from Hull
- Gabriel Kovari, 22, from Lewisham
- Daniel Whitworth, 21, from Gravesend, Kent
- Jack Taylor, 25, from Dagenham, east London.
Port met his victims online, including through the dating app Grindr, before luring them to his flat where they were drugged and raped.
He murdered the four men by giving them fatal overdoses of the date-rape drug GHB.
Evidence heard at trial, and uncovered by a BBC investigation, showed there were a series of chances to catch Port sooner.
The first victim, Anthony Walgate, was found outside Port’s flat and the other three either in or next to a nearby churchyard.
Port was jailed for his initial lies about the first death, but police accepted his subsequent excuses and did not treat the case as homicide.
Police did not examine a computer seized from Port, which would have revealed his interest in drugging and raping young men.
While on bail, prior to being charged, Port killed twice more.
Port falsely linked his second and third victims together in order to cover up his crimes.
A fake suicide note found in Daniel Whitworth’s hand, which had actually been written by Port, said he accidentally killed Gabriel Kovari and was taking his own life in response.
In fact, the two victims did not know one another.
Police accepted the note at face value and treated the deaths as non-suspicious, despite concerns raised by people close to both men.
The note was in Port’s handwriting and bore traces of his DNA, as did other items found with the bodies of Mr Kovari and Mr Whitworth.
Detectives did not trace the man referred to in the note as the “guy I was with last night”, which would have led them to the killer.
Port murdered Jack Taylor after serving a short prison sentence, but police did not treat the death as suspicious for several weeks, despite the urging of the Taylor family, who investigated the case themselves and realised the other deaths were linked.
Mr Kovari’s former flatmate John Pape had earlier come to same conclusion about his friend, which he pointed out to the Met in a series of emails and during an inquest.
Port used a fake Facebook profile to spread lies about the deaths, including in direct correspondence with Mr Kovari’s ex-boyfriend, but police did not investigate the account despite it being sent to them.
The case was solved after being passed from local teams in Barking and Dagenham to specialist homicide detectives.
Senior Met figures apologised to the families in the aftermath of the trial.
When he quashed the original inquests findings for two of the victims, Lord Justice Holroyde said it seemed “surprising that the initial police investigation revealed so little of the full picture and appears to have led quite quickly to a conclusion that there was no evidence of any crime having been committed by any person still living”.
The family of a heavily pregnant woman who was stabbed to death her bedroom in south London were woken by her “screams”, police have said.
Kelly Mary Fauvrelle, 26, who was eight months pregnant, died in the early hours of Saturday and her baby Riley was pronounced dead on Wednesday.
Det Ch Insp Michael Norman said Ms Fauvrelle was the victim of a “sustained and vicious attack”.
He said police were yet to establish a motive for the “double homicide”.
The Met has also released CCTV which shows a figure walking towards Ms Fauvrelle’s home at about 03:15 BST on Saturday, then running away just over 10 minutes later.
Det Ch Insp Norman, from Homicide Command, said whole Ms Fauvrelle’s family – her mother, two brothers, sister and sister’s baby son – were in the house on Raymead Avenue, Croydon, at the time of the attack.
“The family were alerted just before 3:30 in the morning by the sound of screams which was clearly Kelly,” he said.
“Kelly’s sister was the first person to go into the room, by that point there was no-one else there.”
He said police and paramedics did “everything they possibly could to try to save Kelly’s life and it was clear they were going to be unsuccessful” and then delivered the baby by Caesarean section.
Ms Fauvrelle was pronounced dead at the scene and the baby – named Riley by the family – died in hospital.
Det Ch Insp Norman said “we have to remain open minded” regarding a motive to the attack and there is a “need to build as complete a picture of Kelly as we possibly can”.
He said that Ms Fauvrelle’s bedroom was at the rear of the ground floor and there was a communal passageway so “potentially the obvious access point would be through the kitchen”.
“There is no sign of a forced entry but that does not mean, through accident, the premises were insecure,” he added.
Police said Riley’s father was not currently being treated as a suspect.
Local MP Steve Reed raised the murder in Parliament during Wednesday’s Prime Minister’s Questions and said: “The police now believe this may have been a random attack by someone unknown to the family.”
In response, Prime Minister Theresa May said “we were all shocked when we saw this terrible act”.
A 37-year-old man arrested on suspicion of murder has been released with no further action, while a 29-year-old man held over the same offence was bailed until a date in August.